The first day Peter's bike chain came off and a very kind Cambodian and fellow American tourist from Oregon came to our rescue after it derailed. We were pretty tired from our 20-hour bus trips from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap so we ended up getting a late start the first day and, in retrospect, embarking on a far-too-ambitious "grand tour" by bike of various temples. The sun set when we were halfway through the loop so we had a rather grim couple of hours biking in almost total darkness back to the hotel with aching legs.
The second day was a little better, though we still had to bike in some darkness. We visited Angkor Thom and Bayon (known for the many faces) and Ta Prohm (with nature winning the battle over the temple).
The third evening we went to a show at Angkor Wat, which promised "death defying stunts" and "beautiful dancing" among other things. I can't say I was terribly impressed with the show, but I enjoyed walking around the temple at night without any crowds. (The $15 admission weeded out most tourists.)
A few pictures:

Angkor Wat at night.

Happy birthday to my sister!

Many of the staircases were amazingly steep. I usually held on to the side wall going up and down as the Cambodian kids ran up and down them at twice my speed.

Ta Prohm, where trees have overtaken the place. Tomb Raider (Angelina Jolie movie) was apparently shot here.
No comments:
Post a Comment